Driven by Fleisher’s mission of access to high quality art experiences and our institutional values, “Creative Labs” at Fleisher will aim to provide young people from grades Kindergarten through 8th Grade a safe, inclusive art program during after school hours emphasizing art as a thought process that allows young people to retain their high level of creativity and critical thinking.
“Creative Labs” will focus on and provide a path to discovery and development of young people’s individual artistic voice while building skills in several artistic practices. Lead teaching artists will work together as a team to develop a thematically driven curriculum for the term, with the ultimate goal of guiding students to learn and refine how to express their thoughts and perspectives through art.
- Meeting students at their local school and safely leading them to Fleisher every afternoon
- Managing pre-class snack/homework time with other assistant artists
- Safely coordinate pick up and 30 minute after care
- Assist and implement curriculum and lesson plans for children across a range of ages for a 15 week term in collaboration with the lead After School teaching artists and assistants, with input from the Youth Programs Coordinator and Programs Manager.
- Attend monthly planning and check in meetings with teaching artists, assistants and programs staff to communicate and coordinate curriculum and other classroom issues.
- Be on time for pick up and class time.
- Leaves the room clean and organized with materials put away and children’s artwork placed in safe spaces.
- Demonstrate leadership skills within the classroom.
- Create a safe, secure, and fun environment for the students.
Assistant teaching artists will be contracted for up to 5 days per week, in coordination with the Philadelphia School District calendar. Pick up and homework time will occur from 3:00-4:00, with classes running from 4:00-5:30 PM. Each assistant artist will receive an additional 30 minutes of prep time per class. The program will run from August 27th, 2018-June 4th, 2019, with the first of two planning meetings occurring on July 26th, 2018 (attendance is mandatory).
Key qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor of Arts degree or equivalent experience.
- Two years of art-making experience with a basic artistic skill set.
- Some experience doing classroom management or teaching groups of young people, especially elementary and middle school ages.
- Experience assisting an artist or implementing a lesson plan
- Ability to lead activities on occasion depending on need.
- Flexible, can work with variety of skill levels with diverse groups of students.
- Punctual, organized, communicates in a timely fashion with Fleisher staff.
- Has current criminal background check and child abuse clearances or can successfully present upon time of hire.
- $15 per hour, including 30 minute paid additional time per class for set up and clean up (as stipulated above).
- Annual Fleisher Faculty Exhibition
- One free Fleisher class per term
- PMA ID badge with free admittance to many area museums
- Professional development resources
- Additional discounts on other Fleisher programming for yourself and immediate family members
Bi-Lingual teaching artists are encouraged to apply!
Fleisher is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.