Driven by Fleisher’s mission of access to high quality art experiences and our institutional values, “Creative Labs” at Fleisher will aim to provide young people from grades Kindergarten through 8th Grade a safe, inclusive art program during after school hours emphasizing art as a thought process that allows young people to retain their high level of creativity and critical thinking.
“Creative Labs” will focus on and provide a path to discovery and development of young people’s individual artistic voice while building skills in several artistic practices. Lead teaching artists will work together as a team to develop a thematically driven curriculum for the term, with the ultimate goal of guiding students to learn and refine how to express their thoughts and perspectives through art.
We are looking for teaching artists who specialize in one or more of the following areas of focus:
- Painting and Drawing
- Mixed Media
- Creative Writing
- Designs and implements a well-planned curriculum and lesson plans for children across a range of ages for a 15 week term in collaboration with the team of After School teaching artists and assistants, with input from the Youth Programs Coordinator and Programs Manager.
- Attend bi-monthly planning and check in meetings with teaching artists and programs staff to communicate and coordinate curriculum and other classroom issues.
- Be on time for class time, including arriving at least 15 minutes before the scheduled time to set up.
- Leaves the room clean and organized with materials put away and children’s artwork placed in safe spaces.
- Demonstrate leadership skills within the classroom.
- Create a safe, secure, and fun environment for the students.
Teaching artists will be contracted for 2-3 days per week, teaching from 4:00-5:30 PM, with each artist receiving an additional 30 minutes of prep time per class. The program will run from August 27th, 2018-June 4th, 2019, with the first of two planning meetings occurring on July 26th, 2018 (attendance is mandatory).
Key qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor of Arts degree or equivalent experience.
- Experienced teaching with a solid artistic skill set, and a minimum of two years teaching experience (or equivalent experience) instructing technique to a broad population.
- Can work within a group of diverse artists and staff
- Up to date PA State Child Abuse Clearances and Criminal Record Check
- Flexible, can work with a variety of diverse students, ranging in age and artistic skill set.
- Punctual, organized, communicates in a timely fashion with Fleisher staff.
- $31 per hour, including 30 minute paid additional time per class for set up and clean up (as stipulated above).
- Annual Fleisher Faculty Exhibition
- One free Fleisher class per term
- PMA ID badge with free admittance to many area museums
- Professional development resources
- Additional discounts on other Fleisher programming for yourself and immediate family members
Bi-Lingual teaching artists are encouraged to apply!
Fleisher is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.